Biological and Thermal Treatment
This course provides an overview of composting and anaerobic digestion technologies. We also examine energy recovery techniques commonly used in the incineration of waste.
“Many thanks for this. The course was very informative and really helpful.”Louth County Council
Module 4: Biological and Thermal Treatment
This course carries on with the themes introduced in module 3 now focusing on recycling and recovery of biological materials that have become such an important feature of municipal recycling schemes. First half of the course provides A detailed understanding of biodegradable waste and food waste management options. Of course explores the requirements for both aerobic composting and also anaerobic digestion of waste as suitable treatment options to deal with biodegradable waste. During the course you will look at options for green waste treatment and also the more complicated requirements for food wastes that contain animal byproducts. As well as commercial treatment processes for biological waste the course will look at the role of home composting and food waste prevention in domestic and commercial contexts. The second aspect to this course relates to thermal treatment of waste for heat recovery. Incineration represents a major treatment option for residual wastes having replaced landfill in the last decade. The course reviews treatment options including technology selection and the requirements for the production of waste derived fuels. The course provides an excellent review of biological and thermal treatment options that are currently available and used and the Irish market.
The contents of the course are as follows:
- Biodegradable waste – definition, management options, statistics and
- Food waste management and pre-treatment requirements
- Overview of steps involved in developing a composting programme
- Options available for collection of biodegradable waste including centralised composting technologies and home composting options
- Available treatment processes for biodegradable waste, including composting (windrow, Aerated Static Pile and in-vessel), Mechanical Biological Treatment, Anaerobic Digestion
- An examination of the Irish & UK Standard for compost and quality assurance system
- The Animal By-Product regulations – implications for managing food waste and requirements for ABP approved facilities
- Home composting options and schemes
- IED – Industrial Emissions Directive
- Main options for thermal treatment (Incineration) of municipal solid waste, including technology descriptions, suitability and environmental standards
- Waste Derived Fuels – RDF/SRF
- Case study of a windrow composting operations
You will receive a detailed Manual on the day.
In common with all modules on this course, a set of manual notes will be provided to each delegate. The course also involves a number of exercises and group workto allow delegates to explore the topics in more detail.
A tutor will provide worksheets and exercise materials for group work that is incorporated into the delivery of this module. Each module also includes a set of visual aids typically in powerpoint, that the tutor uses to guide delegates through the learning materials.
Vip Patel is the course tutor for Module 4.
Vip Patel is an experienced trainer and waste and environmental professional with over 30 years operational, training and consultancy experience gained in Ireland, UK, Hong Kong, Europe, and North America. He has extensive experience in all aspects of work concerned with integrated waste management projects, including policy development, feasibility and strategic studies, market intelligence and assessment.
He also has a good appreciation of life cycle assessment / analysis, producer responsibility issues, waste contract development and assessment, conceptual design and development of waste collection /recovery & recycling/ treatment / processing systems, including technology assessments and reviews. He is also a highly experienced environmental trainer / communicator and believes in strong links with government, regulators, and industry to achieve sustainable environmental solutions.
A range of Waste Managers & Regulators...
The course is suitable for a wide range of waste managers and regulators. Module 3 & Module 4 provide a detailed overview of the technologies and approaches to waste management that form the basis for the waste management hierarchy.
This course is suitable for those running facilities and also those that have a requirement for an overview of these types of activities, for example, regulators or waste management planners.
Check out our other Modules on the Waste Management Training Programme
Module 1 € 685. Modules 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 €595. Entire course Modules 1-6 discounted to €3250 when booked at commencement. (IF you take Module 2 independently not having completed Module 1 then the cost for Module 2 is €685 to allow for purchase of additional reference documents).